HealthForce Minnesota is a collaborative partnership of education, industry and community that was created to increase the number and expand the diversity of healthcare workers; to integrate health science education practice and research; and to build capacity for education and industry to collaborate to enhance patient care. With this statement, HealthForce Minnesota continues to support diversity and create opportunities to expand this initiative.
See other projects over the years that have supported this initiative.
REGISTER NOW! Click here to register for the Inclusivity in Healthcare Education and Practice conference.
Supporting the Success of Diverse Nursing Students
This conference (held September 18, 2009) brought together more than 80 attendees who learned from experts within Minnesota about the challenges and successes associated with supporting the education of nursing students who are from diverse ethnic, racial, and cultural backgrounds. These students not only are embarking on a rigorous educational path, they may also be learning a new language and culture at the same time. Conference objectives included:
- A new understanding of the role of cultural diversity in education and practice
- Teaching strategies and tools which have been proven to be effective in supporting students from diverse backgrounds
- Future plans for continuing the conversation
Conference presentations and materials:
- Brochure/ProgramMorning Keynote by Kathy Simmelink, Century College
- Panel Presentation by Dr. Susan Hyndman and Candace Ginsberg, The College of St. Scholastica
- Panel Presentation by Bess Tsaouse, Minnesota State University Mankato
- Afternoon Keynote by Teddie Potter, MinneapolisCommunity and Technical College
- Panel Presentation by Sue Herm and Kim Scott, St. Cloud State University
As the need for diverse populations within health related fields increase, HealthForce Minnesota will continue to collaborate and create initiatives to support diversity.