HRSA Primary Care WorkforcePlanning Grant
Increasing Minnesota’s Primary Care Workforce
HealthForce Minnesota is pleased to be the Governor’s Workforce Development Council choice to administer a new, collaborative HRSA (Health Resources & Services Administration) Primary Care Workforce Planning Grant ($149,000). We need and welcome your input to make this a vibrant, creative, and innovative effort for Minnesota’s current and future workforce.
The grant is aimed at identifying strategies to increase the number of primary care practitioners by 10% or more in the next 10 years. It involves:
- Gathering and analyzing data on primary care practitioners
- Gathering regional input regarding current needs for primary care practitioners
- Identifying workforce shortages and career opportunities for primary care professions
- Identifying current educational resources to prepare primary care practitioners
- Identifying strategies to educate, retain, and retrain primary care practitioners
- Preparing a state plan to increase the primary care practitioner workforce by 10% or more
Once the plan is completed, we will be eligible to apply for implementation funding, (originally, $3 mill over 2 years, but Congress may not allocate that much if anything). The implementation grant request will be due by July, 2011, and maybe earlier. This is an exciting opportunity to bring this important “seed” money to our state.
Watch for monthly postings of the latest grant developments. We invite you to get involved!